Saturday 19 November 2011

A conversation about holidays or why being easy-going is hard work.

Last month

Husband: Where do you want to go on holiday?
Nashelle: Iceland
Husband: Too expensive. Since the banks crashed a meal costs four times as much…
Nashelle: Germany.
Husband: Too expensive. A pint of beer is –
Nashelle: Norway, Sweden, Finland…
Husband: The Scandinavians don’t even go on holiday there, it’s so dear. Why d’you think they don’t drink?

Last week

Husband: where do you want to go on holiday?
Nashelle: Iceland, Germany, Finland, Norway…
Husband: (edited version) we can’t go to any of those places…

Day before yesterday
ditto

Last night

Husband: Are we going to go on holiday?
Nashelle: Yes.
Husband: We’d better book it, then.
Nashelle: The problem is we don’t know where we want to go.
Husband: Where do you want to go?
Nashelle: I’ve told you where I want to go. Where do you want to go?
Husband: I don’t mind where we go.
Nashelle: (thinks: Iceland, Norway, Germany…) I don’t mind,either.
Husband: I can go anywhere, me…
Nashelle: that doesn’t actually help.
Husband: …Turkey, Greece, Tenerife…
Nashelle: so which one?
Husband: Any one. I can go anywhere.
Nashelle (getting irritated): You don’t mind where you go, I don’t mind where I go, the kids don’t mind where they go – so where are we going to go?
Husband: waffle, waffle, waffle…
Nashelle (in slightly louder voice): If you go into the holiday shop and they ask 'where do you want to go?' we can't say anywhere;. Unless we pick a place we can’t actually go anywhere.
Husband: I don’t mind where I go.
Nashelle: Hey, that’s funny, neither do I. So where are we going?

to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment